Please note: Our health and safety policies below have changed based on improvements in COVID-19 positivity rates, increased vaccination rates, and decreases in hospitalizations. We prioritize the safety of all participants and will continue to monitor and follow guidance from Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), and Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH). This includes any restrictions on the size of in-person gatherings.
- Outdoor event: Hosting the climb in the open air, where COVID-19 spread is known to be less likely, means we can offer a safe experience. In addition, staff at Soldier Field will be onsite and following strict procedures for cleaning and sanitizing, including restroom areas.
- Masks: RHA will follow any local, state, federal, or venue protocols required at the time of the event. There is currently no mask requirement for outdoor events, and they will not be required at Soldier Field. Participants, volunteers, staff, and guests are encouraged to wear a mask in areas at the event where large numbers of people gather – such as the start line, after party, etc.
- Vaccinations: While the 2022 event will not require participants to provide proof of vaccination for entry, we strongly encourage all participants to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. In addition, we recommend all participants take a Covid test within 72 hours of the event and do not participate in case of a positive test.
- Social distancing: Social distancing guidelines will be encouraged throughout the stadium. Each staging area of the climb will have six-foot markers to keep climbers spaced apart, and climbers will only be allowed to start their climb once the individual in front of them reaches a pre-identified marker. Additionally, Soldier Field’s wide common spaces and walkways allow for social distancing – which will also include designed crowd flow patterns to assist in keeping people at an appropriate distance from each another. Restroom areas at Soldier Field will be open throughout the 400 level of the stadium with limited capacity at any given time.
- Event participants, sponsors, vendors, guests, and volunteers who may be experiencing symptoms associated with COVID-19, or who have recently been in contact with a person experiencing symptoms, are asked not to attend the event.
RHA will follow any local, state, federal, or venue protocols required at the time of the event. There is currently no mask requirement for outdoor events, and they will not be required at Soldier Field. Participants, volunteers, staff, and guests are encouraged to wear a mask in areas at the event where large numbers of people gather – such as the start line, after party, etc.
Participants will climb in one of eight assigned sections of the stadium’s upper deck (400 level), in waves that include ten climbers. Climbers will go in loops, taking the stairs of their designated section up and down as many times as they can during a 20-minute period. Each stair section will be designated for one-way foot traffic and climber start times will be spaced out to follow social distancing guidelines.
- Climbers moving at a faster pace cannot pass people in front of them. For your safety and the safety of others, we will ask you always keep a six-feet distance from other climbers.
- Due to the need for social distancing, we will not be tracking individual climb times. Climbers are welcome to bring their own fitness trackers or timing devices with them if they wish to record their progress.
- Event staff will time and release climbers to begin their 20-minute time slot individually.
Note: Climbing 7-8 full loops (up and down) is most like the 1,632 stairs at our traditional 875 N. Michigan Ave. climb (formerly known as John Hancock Center).
If you need to take a break while climbing, the seating area in each section will be open. We will ask climbers to step at least six feet into an empty row to take a break and then re-enter at a time they can keep enough distance from another climber. If climbers are unable to finish, they can notify a volunteer and exit their designated loop.
Bottled water will be available at the staging area before you start your climb and right after. There will also be bananas and oranges available once you complete your climb. We will also feature an after party with music, food, drinks, and giveaways – all under the iconic Soldier Field outdoor colonnades!
We will host the event rain or shine. Soldier Field personnel can prepare the stadium under reasonable weather conditions. In the event of any extreme inclement weather, Soldier Field will notify Respiratory Health Association and Hustle Chicago of any decisions within 24 hours of the event. Event organizers will then notify participants via email of any last-minute changes, cancellations, rescheduling, etc.
Each section of Soldier Field has between 104-110 steps to the top and 104-110 steps down. The number of steps each climber takes will depend on how many loops they make.
Packet Pick Up will be available on Friday, May 13 from 10 AM – 6 PM and Saturday, May 14 from 10 AM – 4 PM at Respiratory Health Association’s office in the West Loop. If you would prefer to have your packet mailed to you before the event, please sign up for the packet mailing and we will mail your packet to the address provided during registration. If you are on a team, your packet will be mailed to your team captain. Packets will include a moisture-wicking event shirt and bib that will include your climb time.
Climbers should enter Soldier Field through Gate 45 across from the Field Museum (on McFetridge Drive) and proceed up the Plaza walkway. To ensure everyone’s safety and limit contact with climbers, you should have received your registration packet prior to event day either at Packet Pick Up or by mail. Please remember to bring the bib included in your registration packet as this is required for entry into the stadium.
We encourage you to “pack light” and only bring what you can carry as we will not offer gear check this year. You may bring a small backpack, but you must always keep it with you while inside Soldier Field.