Search Library by Keyword
Download the Peak Flow Meters – What You Need to Know PDF.
Peak flow meters measure how you push air out of your lungs. Your health care provider can prescribe one for you to help manage your asthma. Peak flow meters are usually used with Asthma Action Plans.
Using Your Peak Flow Meter
- Remove all food, candy or gum from your mouth.
- Stand up straight.
- Set the marker to zero.
- Take in a deep breath.
- Place the peak flow meter in your mouth and seal your lips tightly around the mouthpiece.
- Exhale hard and fast into the meter.
- Remove the peak flow meter from your mouth.
- Look at your number and write it down.
- Repeat all the above steps two more times.
- After three attempts, record the highest number into your log.
- Clean peak flow meter once a week.
- Wash with warm water and a mild liquid soap.
- Rinse gently and allow to air dry completely on a lint free towel.
- Refer to your peak flow meter instructions for further information.
This content is provided for informational purposes only and does not substitute for medical advice.