Maintaining public health is a community responsibility. Without strong community partnerships, Respiratory Health Association (RHA) couldn’t make progress toward its goal of building a future free of lung disease.
On Wednesday, December 5, 2018, Metropolitan Family Services of Southeast Chicago honored RHA at their 2018 Annual Meeting and Holiday Luncheon.
RHA received MFS Southeast Chicago’s 2018 Outstanding Community Partner Award for collaborating on the Chicago Quits project.
Founded in 1985, the Metropolitan Southeast Chicago Center is part of Metropolitan Family Services, an organization that supports Chicago-area families through community programs and services.
Some of their programs include:
- Before and afterschool programs for children & teens
- Employment/job readiness & placement for young fathers
- Counseling and behavioral health services
Since 1857, Metropolitan Family Services seeks to empower Chicago-area families to reach their greatest potential and positively impact their communities.
RHA’s partnership with MFS Southeast Chicago covered the following key activities:
- RHA trained staff members from MFS’ Adult Mental Health Program to deliver RHA’s Courage to Quit® adult smoking cessation program to individuals in their adult mental health program. Staff attended the Courage to Quit® Leader Training and received all program materials and quit smoking resources for free under RHA’s Chicago Quits In addition, RHA provided assistance and support as MFS planned and implemented Courage to Quit® programs on site.
- RHA provided feedback and suggestions toMFS Southeast Chicago’s Adult Mental Health Program to improve their tobacco use screening and referral processes during client intake.
- RHA helped MFS enroll as an Illinois Tobacco QuitLine referral partner to increase their tobacco treatment referral options.
Community partners like MFS help extend the reach and increase the impact of RHA’s tobacco cessation programming while gaining valuable resources to support the people they serve.
MORE ON CHICAGO QUITS
Chicago Quits is RHA’s city-wide strategy to bring quit smoking services to Chicago communities most affected by tobacco use. Chicago Quits brings Courage to Quit®, nicotine patches and outreach to Chicago residents. Under Chicago Quits, RHA partners with 25 different health, social service, and housing organizations to deliver smoking cessation services at more than 100 locations across the city. Chicago Quits is funded with support by the Chicago Department of Public Health.
COURAGE TO QUIT® LEADER TRAINING
Courage to Quit® is an evidence-based group or individual tobacco treatment program for adults. This program is the cessation component of RHA’s integrated tobacco intervention initiatives.
Courage to Quit® Leader Trainings provide knowledge and skills for those looking to assist people who are interested in quitting smoking.
The next Courage to Quit® Leader Trainings are scheduled for:
Friday, February 1, 2019 (Register here)
Friday, June 7, 2019
Friday, October 18, 2019