October is National Healthy Lung Month, a great time to raise awareness about lung disease and talk about ways you can keep your lungs healthy.
It’s easy to take your lung health for granted until you get sick or have trouble breathing. Here are a few ways you can protect your lungs:
- Talk to your doctor about any changes in your lung health or symptoms like coughing or difficulty breathing.
- Ask your doctor if a lung cancer screening is right for you.
- If you smoke, consider quitting. After quitting, you gain health benefits such as improved lung function and improved circulation. Over time, your risk for certain lung diseases will also go down.
- Prevent infection and stay healthy by getting a COVID-19 vaccination and an annual flu shot.
- Stay active and exercise regularly. Talk to your doctor before beginning a new exercise routine.
- If you live with lung diseases like asthma or COPD, get to know the ways you can manage your condition.
Want to learn more about ways you can keep your lungs healthy? Click here to explore other resources.