Virtual CowaLUNGa Charity Bike Tour raises funds and awareness for Respiratory Health Association. Proceeds from the event benefit RHA’s mission to prevent lung disease, promote clean air, and help people live better through education, research and policy change.
Virtual CowaLUNGa Charity Bike Tour Details
What Can I Expect from the 2020 Virtual Ride?
The 2020 Virtual CowaLUNGa Charity Bike Tour will feature traditional elements the ride is known for — just a little differently.
We encourage each rider to select a distance and route to fit their own schedule, leading up to a virtual celebration day on August 1. Ride on your own or in small groups — we recommend you continue to practice social distancing and follow local guidance from your public health officials when riding outdoors and with others.
Each rider will receive an event shirt, medal and rider souvenir fanny flag. And back by popular demand, we will give CowaLUNGa participant trophies to recognize your Cow milestone year! We will also award incentive prizes to those who reach fundraising milestones.
Register for the CowaLUNGa virtual experience and you can also expect:
- Zoom gatherings with “more COW Bell” leading up to event weekend — including games, special guest speakers (with some surprise appearances) and an opportunity to share time with the Cow community.
- A CowaLUNGa online celebration August 1, time TBD.
- A group page where riders can log their miles and track progress (coming soon).
- Individual coaching from the special events team to help you fundraise for lung health!
- Tools to help you stay informed and make the best of your virtual ride experience including social media updates, video content and DonorDrive (our online fundraising platform).
Costs & Deadlines
The chart below provides registration fees and suggested fundraising levels for the 2020 ride. If you do not meet the fundraising minimum you selected at registration, you will not be charged the remaining amount.
All CowaLUNGa fees and donations are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Looking to take your fundraising to the next level? Register as a Lung Health Champion and raise $1,000 to receive benefits including a custom, commemorative CowaLUNGa Voler cycling jersey.
▪ Team members must register by mid-July to be counted toward the CowaLUNGa Largest Team trophy. Team members may still register after that date but will not be considered in the trophy calculation.
▪ The fundraising deadline is September 4th, 2020. All registered riders are encouraged to fundraise but are not required.
Your safety is important, and following some basic tips will help you enjoy every second of your ride. For your own safety and the safety of others:
- We strongly encourage all riders to wear secured helmets at all times while on their bikes.
- Please obey all traffic laws at all times.
- Ride within your ability and physical condition.
- Carry personal identification.
- Use a bike in good condition, with a spare tube, basic tools (optional), a water bottle, sunscreen, etc.
Need information on bike safety and bike laws? Visit Ride Illinois and take their Bike Safety Quiz. You can find Wisconsin’s bike laws here and Indiana’s bike laws here. Remember to practice social distancing when you ride. View CDC guidelines on social distancing here.
Riding CowaLUNGa as part of a team is fun and motivational. First-timers have enjoyed being part of Team CowaLUNGa or forming their own teams with family and friends. Just because we’re virtual for 2020 doesn’t mean you can’t have social distancing rides and virtual team fun!
Each year the team with the most members is recognized by receiving the CowaLUNGa Largest Team trophy! Learn more about joining Team CowaLUNGa or forming a team of your own.
Be a Lung Health Champion!
Receive exclusive benefits as a Lung Health Champion when you raise $1,000 or more. Your efforts support Respiratory Health Association’s work to prevent lung disease, promote clean air and fund research to help people live better.
Any CowaLUNGa rider can be a Lung Health Champion. The standard registration fee applies and is due at the time of registration.
To show you how much we value your efforts, raise $1,000 or more by the fundraising deadline and you’ll receive these exclusive CowaLUNGa benefits:
- Personal fundraising coach and priority attention
- Free training ride invitations
- Upgraded technical event shirt
- Recognition ribbon on your bike’s Fanny Flag
- Custom-designed CowaLUNGa Voler cycling jersey (see the 2019 jersey design below)
Let Us Be Your CowaLUNGa Fundraising Coach!
During this time of social distancing, our online tools are the perfect answer to launch a campaign and raise funds to support the work of a lung health charity. Each fundraiser will receive a personal fundraising coach from our special events team to assist you every mile of your virtual journey.
Feeling comfortable with Zoom? If so, we can set up a Zoom video chat to assist you.
Coaching can include:
- Assistance to customize your personal fundraising page within the platform provided.
- Help to customize your personal fundraising page with content and photos.
- Providing lung health mission focused content that you can share with your potential supporters.
- Tips on how to identify your potential donor network.
- Training on the online fundraising tools available to you, including ways to send automated thank you notes, set benchmark goals and more.
- Tips on how to use social media as a fundraising tool and how to share your “ride on your own” experience.
- Ideas on how to take donors along for your virtual ride journey.
Find resources to help you reach and even surpass your fundraising goal.
Ready to ride? Sign up for Cow emails.
You’ll receive occasional event updates throughout the year and alerts when registration for the CowaLUNGa Charity Bike Tour opens.
Still can’t find what you need? Contact Gina Schwieger, Senior Director of Special Events, via email at [email protected] or call (312) 628-0210.